18 October, 2009

Crisp Carrots



Tried something new with carrots the other day...flash freezing, of course! I think I'm really becoming a flash freezin' nut!:) After peeling a bit haphazardly (just enough to get the strings off mainly), chunking/dicing, and blanching our garden's carrots for 3-4 minutes, I threw them on a couple trays and popped them in the freezer. Tomorrow I'll let them sit out for 10 minutes or so, then toss them into labeled ziploc bags in the freezer.

I've tried freezing carrots twice before and also canning them. Our family is a bit picky...we've learned we don't really care for the extra big carrots at the end of the season. Their flavor just isn't that good! Canned ones are fine, but I didn't feel like washing jars. And freezing them in pint bags does work, but they will freeze as a clump. So, my hope with flash freezing them is that I'll be able to scoop out a cup if that's all we need!

Grab some out of the freezer, cook a few minutes, drain, and toss with a little honey...should be a yummy winter!

No comments: