23 June, 2010

Freezer Organization: For Those with Lots of Meat

Dairy farmers that we are, beef is an abundant blessing at our house that we too often take for granted. I honestly cannot remember the last time I bought beef in a grocery store...probably close to 8 years ago when we lived in North Carolina.

If you are like us and get your beef in quarters or halves, freezer organization can get a bit chaotic. I do not like digging through chunks of frozen meat up to my elbows to find a package of hamburger in the middle of winter. So I thought I'd show what works really well for our family!



1. Purchase a decent sized chest freezer...it has been the best food investment I think we've ever made. Buying meat in bulk will save your family money. If you have the space and farmers near by, I highly recommend it. We also are able to freeze large quantities of summer vegetables and fruits in season or when they go on sale.

2. Upon bringing your meat home, take out your previous supply of freezer meat. Using large bags as seen below (our meat packer supplies them), sort your meat into a few manageable categories. I go with

Hamburger
Roasts/Stew Meat/Soup Bones
Steaks

3. Place your previous meat in the top of your bags to use up first.




Hope this helps someone out there!:)

For more kitchen tips, check out a great site called Tammy's Recipes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I saw from one of your comments that you visited a FRB project. I am a farmer partner in a growing project that contributes to Zambia. I would love to hear more info. I also blog 2x a month at www.foodresourcebank.blogspot.com about our local project. Dean